To better succeed in our mission of spreading the word that recovery from a major mental illness is possible, New York City Voices is always on the lookout to exchange links with other websites. If you have a website you'd like to link to ours please email firstname.lastname@example.org. If your website deals with mental health issues and we think it is relevant, we will add your link to our "links" page. Thank you.
Top 20 Mental Health Web Sites
Chosen by New York City Voices editors, coordinated by former webmaster William Jiang.
- Mental Health Report of the Surgeon General - Executive Summary
- Recovery, Inc.- An amazing nationwide support group resource
- Bazelon Center for Mental Health Law - links page - One of the leading mental-health law firms in the nation
- Internet Mental Health - links page - A top rated page dedicated to mental health information
- SAMHSA's National Mental Health Information Center - A great starting place when looking for mental health services, providers, and institutions
- Mental Health Infosource - links page - Information geared towards mental health practitioners education
- Mental Health Net - the basic mental health information you'd expect, plus a bit more
- Mentalwellness.com - links page - information about medication from Janssen
- National Alliance for the Mentally Ill (NAMI) - state affiliates - The leading grassroots advocacy organization for people with psychiatric disorders, their families, and those who care for them.
- National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) - public information page - Excellent place for basic information, NIMH is where a lot of basic research is done on psychiatric disorders
- National Mental Health Association (NMHA) - mental health information - A great place to go to get information for support in your area
- National Mental Health Consumers' Self-Help Clearinghouse - This organization helps connect individuals to self-help and advocacy resources.
- SAMSA's Substance Abuse Treatment Facility Locator - This online database helps find drug abuse treatment programs or alcohol abuse treatment programs.
- Schizophrenia.com - introduction - the #1 Web site devoted to all things schizophrenia.
- Social Security - subscribe to E-News electronic newsletter - A good place to learn about benefits from the US government.
- Yahoo! Mental Health Directory - A great resource for mental health information of all kinds, organized by Yahoo!
- Gift From Within - PTSD Resources -This resource gives trauma survivors, their loved ones and supporters a credible online website that is friendly and supportive.
- Icarus Project - This is primarily a bipolar support group; however, others are welcome to contribute.
- Electroboy - Fighting Depression and Bipolar Disorder
- Rita Project - Using art to heal people who have a suicide attempt in their past
- Extraordinary Voices - A Community of Hope for those living with mental illness
- Remedy Find - Useful site of various treatments for chronic health conditions rated
- Growth Central - Help for Anger Management, Anxiety, Assertiveness, and more.
- American Public Health Association - APHA is an Association of individuals and organizations working to improve the public's health and to achieve equity in health status for all.
- Mental Health Recovery- Harvesting our personal efforts
NY Regional & Local Sites
- Community Services Network of Greater New Haven -The Community Services Network (CSN) is a consortium of sixteen community-based organizations providing a variety of behavioral health services to people throughout the greater New Haven area.
- Mental Health Association in New York State - Community Connections - A great resource for people who live in NYS.
- Michael Skinner- Train of Tears: An amazing musical venture by someone who could still create music after suffering the blight of mental illness
- Mood Disorders Support Group of New York City - MDSG is a non profit, self-help organization serving both individuals with depression and manic-depression (bipolar disorder), as well as their families and friends.
- Music Therapy and Mental Health: Freudian Slip - Matthew J. Bush, MSW, LSW has had much success using creative techniques in the field of music therapy, including the use of popular music. He borrows elements from the music therapy field and applies them in a way that other therapists who are not music therapists can follow.
- NAMI NJ: The State NAMI that serves the people of New Jersey
- NAMI-New York City Metro -The largest branch of NAMI in New York City
- New York State Office Office of Mental Health - The government agency that is responsible for people with mental health disorders in New York State.
- The Park Slope Center for Mental Health - A good, Brooklyn-based outpatient treatment center.
- Manhattan Adult Attention Deficit Disorder Support Group: a support group for adults who live in the NY metro area, have add/adhd, and are looking for information, networking opportunities, and friendship (with other add/adhd adults).
- Mental Health Association in Michigan - MHA's Michigan branch.
- PsychLinks Psychology & Mental Health Resources Directory - A Yahoo-like collection of Mental Health resources
- Mental Health Association of Onondaga County - A regional affiliate of MHA
- Center for Mental Health Policy and Services Research - Our objective is to link the best research and evaluation findings to policy decisions, and the delivery and implementation of services.
Internet Voting & Legal Resources
Voter Empowerment Project - The Mental Health Voter Empowerment Project (MHVEP) is a non-partisan civil rights initiative working to promote empowerment of mental health consumers and survivors and ex-patients by encouraging them to exercise their right to vote.
- The National Technical Assistance Center for State Mental Health Planning - Answers to Commonly Asked Questions About Voter Registration.
- The League of Woman Voters - a page on voter information and registration. For most states, you can download and print the voter registration form, and mail it in.
- Project Vote Smart - "facts on your political leaders, including biographies and addresses, issue positions, voting records, campaign finances, evaluations by special interests," and a guide to Voter Registration & Election Dates for each state.
- Insure Democracy - "includes links to federal, state and private voter registration and information sites, as well as important primary dates and deadlines."
- The Federal Election Commission - information about Elections and Voting, and State Voter Registration Requirements.
- New York State Board of Elections - The NYS Board of Elections offers useful information, including election law, political calendars, district maps, and links to county boards of elections.
- New York State General Law and Current Legislation - New York State legislation existing and pending.
- Federal Law and Current Legislation - Federal legislation existing and pending.
- United States Department of Justice - Civil Rights Division - responsible for enforcement of several laws designed to safeguard the right to vote, including the Voting Rights Act of 1965 and the National Voter Registration Act of 1993.
- Bazelon Center for Mental Health Law - "Legal advocacy for the civil rights and human dignity of people with mental disability."